Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Innocence of a Child

   Children do many things; some bad, some good, funny, or just plain stupid! I was no different as a child! Probably as an adult as well. Throughout my life I still look back on what I was thinking when I was engaging in certain activities. Really its right after I got in trouble when these thoughts became something observable.
    Probably one of the first 'bad' things I did growing up, that I can remember, was carving into furniture. I was so innocent with this behavior that I even signed my name thinking it was cool and even be appreciated. It wasn't till after the fact that my grandfather yelled at me did I even begin to see the permanent consequences of my actions, and even further till I realized the tackiness of this carved-in coffee table.
   This event even had a future following event years down the road, in my mind I made it a direct connection. I made my room furniture a collage of carvings. I was rebelling on my toddler experience, of being yelled at, during my teenager years to even further my self righteous idea that it was not a big deal to carve into a coffee table. As an adult I see I was only partially right and so was my grandfather. Yet my grandfather stands in a more righteous position in this event considering it was his coffee table.
   Now this one I really feel dumb! During a major sleet storm in Texas, I was out playing in the ice with my sisters. I happen to run across a piece of ice that was perfect size to throw. Of course as a kid throwing things just sounds fun, but I wanted to add a little more to the situation. I decided to find out what would happen if I threw it at my sister! I don't remember having a mean intention to this action yet I'm not sure what I was expecting. I think I just didn't think about results; I was merely interested in discovering that. Maybe its just early childhood curiosity. The results, my sister was hurt! Sorry Lil Sis, I love ya!! It does make me rethink events such as a child pushing a vase off the table causing it break, maybe the child was discovering.
   My discovery in lipstick being able to draw did not go unexperimented either. I don't remember what I wrote but I do remember doing it. I've always enjoyed watching the texture of writing materials as they glide on a surface. I don't ever remember using crayons on the wall, but I think I was told enough times not to use crayons so I didn't connect lipstick to count. It is after all not crayons!
   Now as a child it is easy to learn about things but not value. I learned easily that the thermostat controls temperature. What I did not learn that it cost money and money has a limit! When I saw my little Chihuahua shivering one day I really thought I was being smart, so I turned up the thermostat. Solved the problem of my dog being cold, did not help my dad feel any better!
   I think adults forget these innocent times of being a child. It's a time to learn and experience the basic simple things. I am going to choose to remember such times during the life of my child. Maybe slip back in such a mindset and even set up a situation under my supervision. Who knows it could work!

No comments:

Post a Comment